What is coaching
Coaching is an alliance between you and me where we work together to reach your goals, solve problems, and create learning and change. In a series of conversations, we explore what you aspire to create, where you are now, and what you can do to close that gap. Coaching encourages you to take action and make change happen.
Common benefits people experience from coaching include:
- Increased self-awareness and self-compassion
- Improved sense of direction and focus
- Accelerated learning around a distinct topic
- Increased performance in a distinct area
- Increased resilience and resourcefulness
Who is this for
Coaching works especially well if:
- You are excited by the process of self-discovery and continuous learning
- You are committed to your personal growth
- You are open-minded and willing to see things from different perspectives
- You have a sense of need and urgency for learning and change
- You have something to protect and a cause greater than yourself to serve
How does it work
Every coaching experience is unique and tailored to your needs. Coaching assignments typically last 2 to 12 months and include an introductory conversation to create the right context and determine mutual fit, followed by several sessions focused on inquiry and action, and a concluding session to capture learnings and set future direction.
My practice is focused on professional effectiveness. Themes commonly explored include:
- Career reflection and planning
- Goal setting and outcome-directed thinking
- Prioritization and decision-making
- Time and task management
- Productive habits and routines
- Dissolving mental blocks
- Mental resilience and grit
- Setting and enforcing boundaries
What do you want to achieve? Let me know in the short form below, and I look forward to exploring how we can work together! 🙂
I love to enter someone’s world and help them do what they’re capable of. It’s one of the most fulfilling things for me. I’m genuinely curious about others and find it easy to put judgments aside and make it entirely about them.
Previously, I was the COO at the Effective Altruism Foundation for 4.5 years before shifting more time towards coaching. This role allowed me to get a deep insight into the EA community and its values, beliefs, and culture. I’ve worked closely with operations and project managers, community builders, and researchers and understand where they’re coming from. I’ve also worked in several other industries and countries before which helped me broaden my horizon and gain life experience. See my LinkedIn for my full professional background.
What does a typical session look like? — Sessions are 90 minutes in duration. We meet via Skype, Google Meet, or phone. We typically start by reviewing your assignments from the previous session and identifying the topic and goal for the current session. We then explore that topic and find ways for you to make progress towards your goal. We conclude by summarizing and agreeing on a set of next actions that you can work on between sessions.
How often do we meet? — We meet at the cadence that’s right for you, given your goals for the coaching and other commitments. However, I do require at least one meeting per month. I see most clients every two to three weeks.
How many sessions will I need? — This depends on what you want to achieve with your coaching. Typically, 3-4 sessions will give you a taste of the potential results. 9-12 sessions is usual for people who want to create significant change. My coaching engagements are open-ended, and the duration is determined by you. You do not need to commit to a fixed number of sessions in advance, only to doing your best for yourself.
What does it cost? — Each 90-minute session is €50 for personally funded clients or €100 for corporate-sponsored clients. The first session is free. If you really want to work with me but money is an obstacle, please let me know on the signup form.
How can I pay? — You can make payment via bank transfer or PayPal. I bill on a quarterly basis.
What is the cancellation policy? — You can reschedule your sessions up to 24 hours in advance. Later cancellations will be charged the full cost of the session.
How do we work together? — We discuss our ways of working during the first session and revisit them throughout the assignment. The following agreements have worked well with previous clients:
- Your answers: I don’t have any ready-made answers for you, but I help you discover the solutions that are right for you. I’ll share my perspective on things where we think it’s appropriate and won’t undermine your ownership of the issue.
- Your agenda: It’s up to you to determine what you want to work on in our coaching engagement and in every individual session. I’ll help you prioritize topics in a given conversation and keep a focus on the overall goals for the coaching.
- Your process: You tell me how you want to get coached and what’s useful for you. You can take breaks to think and rest at any time. It’s important that we find the style that’s most effective for us as a team.
- Confidentiality: I’ll treat everything we discuss during sessions as confidential, including the fact that we’re working together.
- Transparency: Coaching demands an unusual degree of openness from both of us.
- Acceptance: You don’t have to perform for me. You can rely on me with your failures and uncertainties as much as with your achievements. I won’t condemn or judge.
- Distractions: It’s important to have a quiet space for calls where there will be no interruptions or eavesdroppers and where we have turned off our email and phones.
- Notes: I’ll take notes during the sessions so you can focus on thinking.
- Contact between sessions: I’m happy to receive updates from you to keep the momentum going.
- Commitment: Coaching depends a lot on commitment and engagement, both during and between sessions. Let’s see how we can really get behind this. I’ll strive to do my best to make our time together maximally valuable for you.